Licensing information/ Hospitality

Licensed Trades

Applicants seeking an assessment in licensed electrical trades ie electrical and plumbing trades will be assessed to determine if they meet the technical requirements for the range of duties required for the occupation/s and if successful will be issued an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR).

VETASSESS assessment

Assessments for the licensed trades can currently only be undertaken as a practical assessment. These are usually scheduled in-country and will be conducted according to the schedule.

When you arrive in Australia you will need to apply to the relevant state/territory licensing regulator for a provisional licence/registration. This will allow you to work under the supervision of a qualified tradesperson. You must present your OTSR to the licensing regulator in your state.

Contact details of licensing authorities for all states/territories may be found at:

Even though your skills assessment will confirm your technical skills, you will naturally not be familiar with specific Australian knowledge such as Australian requirements, occupational health and safety regulations, codes of practice and other Australian standards. Gap training has been developed to help migrants meet the Australian specific knowledge gap.

The gap training will consist of

  • gaining essential knowledge and skills from a Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
  • completing up to 12 months on-the-job work experience with an employer and providing evidence of experience gained on-the-job (eg. eProfiling system)
  • a final compliance assessment related to occupational health and safety and Australian standards

Once you have successfully completed the gap training and been issued with a Statement of Attainment, VETASSESS will then review the gap training against the competencies and issue you with the required Certificate III qualification (Please note - this does not apply to linesworker or cable jointers). You can present this qualification to the relevant licensing regulator to be issued a full licence.

VETASSESS will charge an administrative fee of $120 for the finalisation of the service and issuing the qualification.

More information on the gap training for:

Hospitality Trades

First aid requirements

The unit of competency HLTAID003 Provide First Aid is a compulsory requirement for the occupation of cook or chef. To receive a qualification and a successful migration outcome you will need to provide evidence of a recent first aid certificate completed to this standard.

If you do not hold recent certification of your first aid skills and are successful in all other aspects of the skills assessment, you will be issued with a Statement of Attainment and will need to undertake a training program to achieve the unit of competency HLTAID003 Provide First Aid. This unit of competency is a compulsory requirement for this occupation.

Industry requirements state that competencies must be reassessed every 3 years for all first aid units.

Further Information

If you would like further information about units of competence that make up this qualification, please refer to