Required Documents

You must submit the following skilled employment and training evidence to support your application. Your evidence must show you have at least 5 years' experience in your occupation. This may include time spent in training. If your documents are not in English, you will need to have them translated into English and provide copies of the originals, as well as English translations.

See the Evidence Guide (375KB pdf).

You need to provide evidence to show you have at least five years' experience in your trade at the skill level required:

  • your resume/CV
  • your trade qualifications, including apprenticeships and licences if you have some
  • references and or third party statements from your employers detailing the full range of tasks performed, including tools used — references must be on company letterhead
  • financial records to show periods of employment including pay slips, and taxation records
  • your work and financial records to show periods of employment
  • contactable referees, including work contact phone numbers and email addresses.

All evidence provided must:

  • be related to the units of competency for the qualification (see Guides and Factsheets for more information)
  • be your own evidence
  • show you have worked in your occupation in the last 3 years and must be able to be verified.

Pathway 2 applicants must provide the following:

  • a copy of your Australian qualification, including a Statement of Results or a current Australian Occupational Licence
  • evidence that you have worked full time in your occupation for 12 months in the last 3 years.  For Australian licence holder, this 12 months full time paid must be in Australia.
  • evidence that you have worked full time in paid employment in your occupation for 3 years, i.e. taxation records, annual payment summaries, group certificates, pay slips and/or bank statements
  • employment statements relate to your work experience must be signed by the employer or an employee of the employer who is authorised and capable of making the statements, such as a direct supervisor.

Plumbing applicants

If you are applying for a plumbing skills assessment, you are required to provide a First Aid Certificate as part of the assessment.

The course must cover CPR, Automated External Defibrillator (AED), injuries from head to toe, wounds and bleeding control, burns, poisons, bites and stings, medical emergencies, chest pain, asthma, anaphylaxis, choking and airway obstruction, shock, stroke, seizures, allergic reaction, fainting and diabetes.

Without this certificate, the assessment will not be complete.


The evidence you submit should show that you have the required competencies (skills) to meet the Australian standards in your nominated occupation. It will be used to develop a competency profile for you.

You can upload your training and employment evidence online. All documents must be scans of original documents and scanned in colour. The minimum scan resolution is 150 dpi (dots per inch).

Information provided by you to VETASSESS may be used for data matching with other Australian Government agencies such as the Department of Education and Department of Employment, Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and the Australian Taxation Office. Any documentation submitted to VETASSESS may be supplied to an Australian Government agency. VETASSESS bases an assessment on evidence supplied by the applicant. If at any stage in the assessment process fabricated, falsified or non-genuine evidence is detected, the assessment will result in a negative outcome. This information may be provided to other Australian Government agencies.

VETASSESS will accept your Australian AQF qualification as evidence of completing training if it is in the same trade area as your nominated occupation. Refer to Pathway 2 – Australian qualifications (77KB pdf) for further information.

Please note that a pre-migration assessment undertaken by VETASSESS is not based on training qualifications only. Evidence of employment and an interview of skills are also required.

All applicants must submit an application for a training and employment check and if successful may proceed to a technical interview/practical demonstration. A technical interview/practical demonstration is a mandatory requirement for a successful outcome.

Only scanned copies of original documents will be accepted. We recommend not to send your original copies. If you submit original documents, they will not be returned. Your documents do not need to be certified.

Documents must be in English

If your documents are not in English, you will need to have them translated into English.  You need to submit copies of the original documents as well as the English translations.  Please note that a registered translation service must be used.

If you are or have been self-employed, you must provide evidence of your employment in your trade.

The evidence should include a personal statement containing the following details:

  • The occupation in which you were self-employed
  • The exact start and finish dates of each period of self-employment
  • Your business registration certificate covering each period of self-employment
  • A statement on letterhead paper from your accountant or legal representative certifying the name and nature of your business, the exact dates of the period of self-employment and the capacity in which you have been self-employed
  • The nature and content of the work tasks you performed
  • The number of staff employed and their occupations
  • A description of your workshop and the tools and equipment used.

You must include at least three (3) statements from:

  • suppliers, confirming the nature of your business, dates of trading periods, details of the material/equipment purchased over a 12-month period and the types of material/equipment supplied
  • clients, on letterhead paper (if possible), confirming full details of the work you did for them and the dates, including the total number of contracts completed over a 12 month period.

Your skilled employment, education and training assessment evidence is a collection of documents proving you have the skilled employment, education and training, skills and knowledge to work as a tradesperson in Australia.

You need to show that you have worked full time in your trade for at least five years. This may include time spent in training.

Your skilled employment, education and training assessment evidence should show how your employment experience, education and training is related to the specific units of competency for your qualification.

See the Guides and Factsheets for your trade.

If you are applying for a Plumbing Skills Assessment, as part of the assessment you must provide a copy of a current First Aid certificate (issued within the past three years). Any course you complete must cover the following topics:

  • CPR, injuries from head to toe, wounds and bleeding, burns, poisons, bites and stings, medical emergencies, chest pain, asthma, anaphylaxis, choking, shock, stroke, seizures, fainting and diabetes.

Without this certificate, your assessment will not be complete. Courses must be offered by reputable organisations such as Red Cross and St John's Ambulance. Please note: if you receive a Provisional First Aid Certificate from your training organisation, it will not be accepted. It must be a full First Aid Certificate.

When you receive your successful training and employment outcome letter, before proceed to the practical assessment you will need a current Australian Trainee Refrigerant Handling Licence. If you do not hold a current licence, you need to apply to the Australian Refrigeration Council Ltd (Arctick). VETASSESS will provide you with more information once you are ready to undertake your practical assessment.