Evidence Requirements

You must submit training and employment evidence to support your application.

Your evidence must show you meet the minimum employment experience requirements for your nominated occupation:

  • All other trades - 5 years' employment experience (with no formal training)
  • All other trades - 3 years' employment experience (with relevant formal training)

Your evidence must show you have worked in your occupation for at least 12 months within the last 3 years and must be able to be verified.

Appropriate types of evidence include:

  • financial records (such as taxation records, payment summaries, payslips or banks statements) that show time periods of employment
  • references from your employers detailing the full range of tasks you performed. References must be on company letterhead, include contact details (phone numbers and email addresses) and be signed by the referee (the referee should be your employer or supervisor). It is important the contact details are correct as we will contact referees to verify the reference is genuine.
  • trade qualifications, training records, short courses, apprenticeships and/or licences
  • videos or photos of you performing work tasks
  • your resume/CV.

VETASSESS cannot accept statutory declarations about your employment experience in the absence of 3rd party evidence (e.g. employer reference, position description, financial records).

NOTE: Some occupations have additional evidence requirements.

For detailed information about the evidence you must provide, please download the Evidence Guide (548KB pdf).


You should send your evidence documents together with your application form by mail.

No. Please send colour photocopies of your documents. Your photocopied documents do not need to be certified.

Do not send your original copies. If you submit original documents, they will not be returned. Your documents do not need to be certified.

If your documents are not in English, you will need to have them translated into English. You need to submit copies of the original documents as well as the English translations. Please note that a registered translation service must be used.

If you are or have been self-employed, you must still provide evidence of your employment in your trade (e.g. business registration, taxation documents, supplier or client references). Please refer to the Evidence Guide (548KB pdf) for more information about the types of evidence you should provide.

Information provided to VETASSESS may be used for data matching with other Australian Government agencies such as the Department of Education, the Department of Jobs and Small Business, NCVER and the Australian Taxation Office. If VETASSESS identifies any non-genuine evidence during the assessment process, the relevant Australian Government agencies will be notified and the candidate will receive a negative assessment outcome.