CHANGES TO THE TRADE SKILLS ASSESSMENT PROCESS
- Trades Recognition Australia has announced changes to the trade skills assessment process, including changes to the fees, employment experience criteria and payment process for OSAP, TSS and TRS trade skills assessments. The VETASSESS website has been updated to reflect the changes.
- These changes relate to all new applications received from 1st March 2019.
You must provide evidence showing you meet the minimum employment experience requirements for your nominated occupation:
- Licensed Trades - 6 years' employment experience (with no formal training)
- Licensed Trades - 4 years' employment experience (with relevant formal training)
- Non-licensed Trades - 5 years' employment experience (with no formal training)
- Non-licensed Trades - 3 years' employment experience (with relevant formal training)
Your evidence must show you have worked in your occupation for at least 12 months (full time) within the last 3 years and must be able to be verified. Full time employment is defined as at least 38 hours per week.
Each period of employment claimed must be supported by both the following forms of evidence:
1. An employer statement which includes all the following details:
- the exact employment period (start and finish dates)
- the normal hours of work
- the nature of employment (full-time, part-time, casual)
- job title (actual occupation)
- a detailed description of the relevant tasks undertaken
- the name and address of the business on official business letterhead
- the name, position, contact details (phone number and business email address), date and signature of the person authorised to make the statement and the length of time they supervised the applicant. (This referee must be the employer or supervisor)
Contact details provided on employer statements must be correct as we will contact referees to verify the reference is genuine.
2. Financial evidence including at least 2 of the following items per year of employment claimed:
- official government tax records or documents that may include payment summaries, group certificates or notices of assessment
- three pay slips citing names of the employer and employee (pay slips should be from the start, middle and end of each year claimed)
- superannuation documents citing the names of the applicant and employer
- bank statements with the employer’s name and clearly showing income has been deposited.
VETASSESS cannot accept statutory declarations about your employment experience in the absence of 3rd party evidence (e.g. employer reference, position description, financial records).
NOTE: Some occupations have additional evidence requirements.
For detailed information about the evidence you must provide in a Pathway 1 assessment (including occupation-specific evidence requirements), please download the Evidence Guide (548KB pdf).