Answers by Experts – January 2023 | VETASSESS Skip to main content

Answers by Experts – January 2023

In this blog, our VETASSESS Skills Assessment Experts answer some of the most common questions that we receive via webinars, social media and emails.

1. I’ve applied for the standard service. Can I switch to Priority Processing?

You can ask us to convert your application to Priority Processing. We consider these requests on a case-by-case basis so please tell us why you want Priority Processing. You can email your request, with your evidence supporting urgency, to

We will consider requests if:

  • You have received an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs or a state or territory government that will expire by a set date
  • Your visa expires in six weeks and you cannot obtain another visa
  • You are turning 33, 40 or 45 in six weeks
  • Your English Test Result (IELTS or PTE) expires in six weeks
  • Your Partner Skills Assessment or English Test Result expires in six weeks.

Other requests may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

2. For a professional occupation, can I apply for a skills assessment for an occupation not really close to my degree? I’m a culinary graduate and my skill and experience is in managing a fast food restaurant.

Yes, you can apply. For any general professional occupations we assess, except for those in Group A, we can consider an unrelated degree as fulfilling the qualification level requirement. An applicant will typically need to demonstrate more time in their employment to be deemed skilled.

For example, for Group B, if a person holds a qualification comparable to an Australian Qualifications Framework bachelor degree that is not highly relevant, then 3 years of highly relevant employment, performed within the last 5 years would be deemed skilled – opposed to the requirement of just 1 year if the qualification was relevant.

3. If someone is a self-employed tradesperson who has been handling the duties and responsibilities of the nominated occupation, what evidence and documents do they need to submit? I know that VETASSESS does not accept a statutory declaration for people in trade occupations.

In trade occupations, we require documents such as a letter from your accountant stating your taxation obligations, business registration documents, invoices and annual business and tax returns. Trade applicants have a technical interview and, for licensed trades, a practical assessment, to demonstrate their skills.

4. Is it possible to have a skills assessment as a cook as well as a chef if someone has experience only as a chef?

The two occupations are different. Additional duties are required of a chef.

5. If my work experience was 4 – 5 years ago, could I potentially lose 12 weeks of work experience due to processing times?

You will not lose any time. Consideration of your employment starts from the day you lodge your application; processing time does not affect our assessment of your experience.

6. If an applicant was unsuccessful under one occupation and now applies under a different occupation, would the unsuccessful application have any impact on the new application?

No. The new assessment is looked at with ‘new eyes’ against the official evidence you have provided for that occupation.


For more than 25 years VETASSESS has provided tailored, independent assessment services to governments, education sectors and industries globally.
We have pioneered assessment services to recognise and verify individuals’ qualifications, skills and experience for migration purposes against the requirements of 360 professional and 27 trade occupations.

About us

We're here to help

icon logo

Contact us

Ask a question or find more information.

icon logo

Call our office

Speak to our friendly customer support team.

icon logo

Email us

Send us your question or ask for more information.